Agricultural WAste valorisation for a competitive and sustainable Regional Development
Implementation of technologies of sustainable production and disposal of agricultural plastic waste and promotion of new businesses creation in the field of agricultural waste collection, management and re-use.
Programme: Interreg V-A Greece-Italy 2007-2013
The growing use of plastics in agriculture provides to the farmers increased yields, earlier harvests, less reliance on herbicides and pesticides, better protection of food products and more efficient water conservation. However, this generates ever increasing amounts of plastic waste in rural areas or in areas of high concentration of agricultural activities that can impede the sustainability of the agricultural development. Besides, agricultural plastic materials if mismanaged cause serious environmental problems as they are burned in the fields or buried in the soil or disposed in the open field causing pollution of ground waters and irreversible contamination of soils and health safety problems to the consumers. In addition, these illegal practices result in the waste of valuable oil based plastic materials.
- Improving the cooperation between research centres, public authorities and agricultural companies/farmer associations for the development and implementation of common standards, in line with European and international ones, reducing and valorising waste flows (especially plastic), promoting entrepreneurial development in the field of collection and re-use of APW.
- Valorise the waste streams and in particular the agricultural plastic waste (films, nets, pipes, containers) through the improvement of collection (micro-collection) and recycling for the production of energy – transfer to small agricultural businesses the innovation findings regarding the substitution of conventional non-recyclable agricultural plastics (e.g. mulching films) with cleaner production technologies (bio-based materials, recyclable biomass, etc.)
- Stimulate the creation of new businesses in the field of collection and recycling of plastic waste
- IFOA – an Italian private company specialized in strengthening competitiveness/innovation, training and exploitation of new entrepreneurship
- University of Bari / DISAAT Department – an Italian University with specific expertise in the collection, management and disposal of APW, gained thanks to the participation into the Labelagriwaste Project financed under the 6th RTD Framework Programme
- Confagricoltura Puglia – the Apulian branch of the biggest Italian Association of Farmers. It has a specific expertise in the collection, management and disposal of APW, gained thanks to the participation into the Labelagriwaste Project financed under the 6th RTD Framework Programme
- Province of Barletta -Andria – Tranni
- InnoPolis: one Greek NGO located in the eligible area with special concerns in waste/environmental management and previous experience in participation into Interreg / ETC Projects
- Municipality of Ilida, Amaliada is located in the eligible area representing a large number of Greek farmers, having the possibility to involve some farms in the experimental activities.